Thursday, January 14, 2010

life before Jordan goes back to school

8 a.m. the alarm clock rings. I do not hear it. Jordan hits snooze 15 times. We then jump out of bed, throw on hideous clothes and run out the door. It's of course our job to take the dog to the groomer this morning. We struggle getting her into the car (as usual) and then finally hoist her in there and I drive with my eyes wide open, looking like I just got botox, to keep myself awake. We wrangle her inside and watch as she happily jumps around. We look at one another in confusion. Our spoiled, selfish, whiny dog...enjoying herself..around other dogs? We sit and wait and this precious lady in her cute little outfit with her precious yorkshire terrier walks by and looks down at our long haired and shameful shih-tzu who looks nothing like a shih-tzu. The woman comments "Oh, she's so cute." If I had been given the chance to have a cup of coffee, I would have gladly gotten up and discussed a bartering deal for our dogs. Finally, we hand her over to the groomer without a fuss. We come home and WASTE time on our computers and then get up to make Dad a birthday lunch. Technically, his birthday is tomorrow, but Jordan leaves for school in the morning so the celebrating came early this year. We decided to make chicken alfredo. Sounds good, sounds easy, but for two girls who know NOTHING about the kitchen, it wasn't as easy as people make it seem. After cooking two pieces of chicken for what seemed like 18 years, they finally finished. We began to cook the sauce, realizing we didn't have enough of the alfredo stuff in the packet. I got creative and decided to whip up my own recipe and throw some stuff together. Surprisingly, my recipe was better than the packet....go figure. We then baked a cake (which turned out PERFECTLY) and iced it and served it all up. I was exceptionally proud of us.

Then I headed off to work. My kids were hysterical today. I think my favorite occurrence of the day was when my most entertaining child proceeded to tell the group that Robin Hood was about a girl who planted seeds and ate big bear's porridge. What do they teach kids in school these days? After 2 and a half hours with some amazing kids, I headed home to pick up the pup from the groomer. She was crazy wild and jumping all over the place. Fortunately, when she jumped on my steering wheel and caused me to swerve on the opposite of the road the oncoming car was a good mile away. Thank you Jesus.

The rest of the day played out as almost all Thursdays do. Just chilling, a little cleaning and a lot of surfing the net. Just thought I'd share the day with all of you.


2 comments: