Friday, August 28, 2009

Is something about to break?

So there's this Mat Kearney song that became pretty popular a few years ago, called "Nothing Left to Lose" and a few years ago, I remember my sister and I singing this song so many times at moments in our lives when we felt God was about to do something huge. We'd always sing:

"Something's in the air tonight
the sky's alive with a burning light
you can mark my words,
something's 'bout to break"

and it's almost as if you could have marked our words, because something always broke. Maybe it's a stretch to call it "prophetic" that it always rose up in our spirits at a certain time in our lives...but i'm willing to make the leap and say it was. What I find exceptionally dissapointing is that I haven't heard those lines uttered to my spirit in a long time and it's somewhat heart wrenching. Maybe it's just that God is speaking a different way now and he's trying to mix things up a little, I'm not really sure.

I know that things are changing dramatically in my life though. This is definitely what I'd call a "new season" and it's scary. Tonight a few of us gathered and "kidnapped" our friend Melissa who is leaving for Israel on Thursday. It hit me tonight how bittersweet the farewell is going to be. I am going to miss this woman of God terribly. She's always there to help me out and talk me down when I'm going a little crazy. Then again, an excitement is in me for her. To send someone you love out to do the things that you yourself hope to do one day is encouraging in an unexplainable way.

I remember being little and my dad coming in my room to wake me up for school and he would yell "wake up, teddy bears are going on a picnic!" and he would jerk all of the covers off of me. I used to get so angry when he would pull the covers off. I was cold, uncomfortable and forced to move. That's where I am today with God. He's pulled the security blankets off of me and I am left cold, uncomfortable and forced to move! I've been begging, praying, seeking and yelling for God to help me and give me the answers to these questions burning in my soul. He gives me the answers, but they're answers I was expecting and answers I didn't want to hear. They're the BEST answers, yes.... but uncomfortable and somewhat difficult and annoying. I guess what I'm trying to say is now God is moving me into a completely new season and rather than having the people who have been there with me through the transition of the other seasons in my life...they're out fulfilling God's plan for their lives. It's scary, I'm not going to lie. I'm trying to be ready though and I'm trying to believe that whether I hear the Mat Kearney lyrics in my head or not....that something is IN FACT about to break.

Love,
Ashlin :)

No comments:

Post a Comment